I got the following email from John last night. Apparently I was one day off in my summit guess and they lost cell reception... I am happy to have gotten their updates now.
From John: "Pictures and details will follow, but here's the latest... Sorry I couldn't email the past few days--we lost cell phone service. We all made it to the top! We were so proud of Mom. You'll get more from me later today!"
_____________________________________________________________________
Here are the other updates John sent:
From September 2, day 3: "The group during our day 3 hike. In the background is Mawenzi peak, one of three peaks on Kili and the second highest. The highest is Kibo peak, and that's our destination."
From September 3, day 4: "Our climb today was the steepest yet, and took us to over 14,000 feet. Tomorrow we'll go to about 15,600, which is our base camp for the summit push (which we start at midnight tomorrow night to try to be there for sunrise, around 7am). We get to each camp around mid day, and we take an acclimatization hike further up in elevation, without our packs and gear, though. This photo is from the hike tonight. Everybody's doing well, including mom! The guides call her "mama", which is mother in swahili. Oh, and grandmother is "bibi"."
I also got a text from my mom today letting me know that they were at the hotel and ready for bed. They travel to Zanzibar tomorrow for a few days of relaxing on the beach. I'm sure they're all excited for some relaxation and a little bit of personal space. :)
I will update again with anything else I hear from the group!


1 comment:
Congratulations Jane and all! What a thrill! Enjoy your time at the beach!
Joni
Post a Comment