I'm not sure how other families do it, but we never seem to have enough time around here to get it all done! Life is so crazy lately that taking even a few minutes to blog just doesn't happen. I apologize for the lack of info lately, especially to those of our relatives who keep updated from afar via the blog... we'll try to get back into the blogging groove!
Let's see... Tate is now commando crawling EVERYWHERE and is pretty much a one man wrecking crew. He has four teeth now and had his first visit to the dentist last week. Avery was getting her teeth cleaned and I went up to the counter to get her rescheduled for 6 months and asked if I could make Tate's initial appointment for that same date. The dentist happened to be behind the counter and mentioned that they'd just had a cancellation and could see Tate now. I didn't really think he needed to be seen yet, but I did have a few questions for the dentist so it was nice to have them answered. Tate doesn't have to go back for a year; hopefully he'll have many more teeth by then!
Tate got measured for orthotics last week and we went today and had them fitted to his foot. They are Sure Steps for any of you who have kids with Down syndrome and will actually know what I'm talking about. He doesn't seem to mind them yet, but we'll see as time goes on. After leaving the orthopedic shop we went to Stride Rite to get fitted for Tate's first real pair of shoes. The girl at the store measured him as a size 5, but when we tried them on they were too narrow. Size 5 wides were also too narrow, so we tried 5 double wides. Yep, they fit. We bought the only pair in stock and special ordered another pair. Avery has always had good tennis shoes, but we've often bought her dress shoes at Target. I don't see the point in spending more than $15 for shoes that she'll likely only wear a few times. We won't be able to that for Tate...he'll be a special-ordered shoes kind of kid. Lucky guy! :) I'll post pictures of Tate in his orthotics tomorrow.
Avery has her first cavity and will get it filled next week; I feel a little guilty that she has a cavity and told Josh that I am worried about how she'll do during her filling. His favorite saying on the subject is "worrying is like a rocking chair... gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere". So helpful, right? Not so much. Back to the cavity. It's a challenge explaining a cavity to a 3 year old and not making it sound like a good thing, but not scaring her about how the dentist will fix it, all while making sure she knows it's a bad thing that she doesn't want to have happen again!
I've decided to run the Twin Cities Marathon again this fall. I've done a few in the past and was getting the bug to do another one. I was talking to a patient about wanting to do it but not being sure if the time was right... I have two kids, a husband, and a business that I have trouble balancing at times as it is. She said "that is exactly why you need to do it; take time for yourself!" I agree, but finding the time to run while not feeling like I'm sacrificing time with my family might be tough. I asked Josh if he wanted to run with me, but we compromised by buying a bike and a double bike trailer for the kids. I'll run and he and the kids will bike/ride along so that we're all together rather than me leaving them at home while I run. It's been great so far and I'm really looking forward to the training process. And for those of you who know that both of my kids were post-marathon babies, no, there are most definitely not plans for another little St. Louis in the near future. Just ask anyone who saw me at the mall today with my two little handfuls and they'll tell you that I'm not ready for another just yet :)
Off to spend the rest of the evening with my hubby. Enjoy your weekend- hopefully your weather is warmer than ours. We have a high temp of fifty degrees tomorrow. Yikes!
No comments:
Post a Comment